1.17.2011

A REAL Woman

Remember when I promised you a post? Okay, I've done that a few times and not pulled through!

Well, I'm pulling through! It's the one I promised where I would write about our winter camping trip and how I was a REAL, mountain climbing, Idaho-born woman! (I don't know how to punctuate all those words! Don't judge me!)
Here it is!!! Eat your hearts out and be proud! Fine, if your not I am satisfied that my husband was so proud of me and also the fact that he thought, "it was completely hot!" I don't mind if your proud too though!

Well, I posted recently about our friends Paul and Krista's marriage! Paul and Nate decided it would be fun after their (second, not first) reception in Portland to go camping up in the mountains! Yes, in the end of December! They are always up for anything and when they get together they give each other ideas which seem to become a reality!
Krista and I agreed that it would be fun so that night we drove off in the Jeep and Subaru in search of a mountain trail that they could climb and find the perfect spot to camp out for the night and we totally found it! 

We laid out blankets in the back of the jeep, played games, and ate snacks way to late into the morning! 


About 3 or 4 am we decided it was bedtime and we prepared beds in our respective cars! The nice thing about the Jeep and Subaru is you can totally get away with this comfortably by laying down the seats and swallowing yourself in a million blankets! 

Remember, I told you we found the perfect spot! However, when we got there wasn't six inches of snow on the ground. When we woke up the next morning, there was!


It was beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! Don't you agree?






We explored a little bit, took some pictures, had some breakfast, chatted about our lives, and packed up to go!

The only problem is we parked down a bit of a hill and Paul's jeep didn't want to make it up! The Subaru did fine so we pulled him up!

We were on our way! Only for a bit though! Paul got stuck again! Only this time it was with his back wheel going off the road, down a hill! 



He tried pulling back up but only went further down. We dug! We deflated air out of his tires (to get better traction)! We dug some more! Finally he got out!

After that was out of the way the problem came from the trees! Every time Paul would hit a tree branch endless amounts of snow would shake off the trees and onto his windshield! So much that his wiper blades were stuck! We tried a different approach! Nate and Krista started knocking the snow off branches while Paul slowly crept forward! Then Nate would run back and pull the subaru up! This happened a couple of times until I decided I was planting my rear end in the drivers seat and I would drive the subaru while Nate worked on branches with Krista and Paul led the way with the jeep!

This is the part where you can be proud! I was driving on the side of a mountain over a rocky road, in snowy and icy conditions, with tree branches in my way! Nate was unsure but decided to trust me! I drove the rest of the way down that mountain! Why? Because, like I said, I am a real Idaho woman!

I learned how to drive up mountain roads (consisting of dirt and rocks)! I learned how to handle a vehicle in snowy and icy conditions! Whether it be in Washington or Idaho, I learned and I did what most people think would be the man's job!

Guess what! I completely, totally, thoroughly enjoyed every second of it! I mostly enjoyed the impressive looks from Paul and Nate! I really enjoyed hearing Nate say, "that is why I married you! Not to mention, it is completely hot!"

We might do this again! Most definitely!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an adventure! Sounds scary and intense and fun all at the same time. Way to go woman!

    ReplyDelete