1.06.2011

Newness

I'm not sure "newness" is a word but either way it will be my word. It is my word for the new year, my new goal, my new day!

I have really been thinking about how I can learn to continually look forward, instead of looking back in lieu of my new goal and motto for the year, "Look Not Behind Thee!" I can already tell this is going to be a struggle. I have a bad habit of always looking forward or backward and forgetting to enjoy the moment! It's hard for me, oh so very hard! But I will try, I will try, try, try!

While looking for a new poem to display from my book of poems for the new season, for the new year, I came across some for New Year's! It sparked my interest of the concept of "newness" even more! I will be posting these throughout the next week or two for you to read and enjoy, hopefully as much as I!

A New Leaf

He came to my desk with a quivering lip
The lesson was done
"Dear Teacher, I want a new leaf," he said;
"I have spoiled this one."
In place of the leaf so stained and blotted,
I gave him a new one all unspotted,
And into his sad eyes smiled
"Do better now, my child."

I went to the throne with a quivering soul
The old year was done
"Dear Father, hast Thou a new leaf for me?
I have spoiled this one."
He took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And into my sad heart smiled
"Do better now, my child."

- Kathleen R. Wheeler

How blessed we are! We have the Atonement of Jesus Christ, our Savior to replace the old, the stained, the blotted with purity, cleanliness, and newness! Throughout this year he will be the source of my strength because I know now that I will need him. I will need to know love. I will need to know patience. I will need to know charity. I will need to know healing. I will need to know forgiveness. I will need to know humility. I will need to know the newness that comes only from him! It seems that I need all these at one point or another each year! 
 



My prayer and hope is that we will each know these things, that we will know HIM more fully, more deeply because we depend on him, just as a little child would!

1 comment:

  1. That is from the story of Lot's wife who looked behind her at the city of Sodom and Gommorah and turned into salt (I think). Haha, Great New-Year's resolution. Love it.

    ReplyDelete